Festivities of the second Sunday of September in Tournai
On Saturday 11 September
Pontifical mass at 6:00 pm in Our Lady’s cathedral
A pontifical mass will be celebrated at 6:00 pm by His Excellency Guy Harpigny, bishop of Tournai, accompanied by the choir of the cathedral.
At the end of the service, the maior of Tournai will hand the keys of the city to the bishop.
This ceremony revives a tradition : in the Middle Ages, the town councillor, together with the deans of the craftsmen, escorted by the wardens, used to come to the cathedral to bring their offerings.
The group of the wardens and the guilds will add brilliance to this colourful and solemn ceremony.
On Sunday 12 September
Service at 8:30 am in Our Lady’s Cathedral
A pontifical mass will be celebrated at 8:30 am by His Excellency Guy Harpigny, bishop of Tournai, accompanied by the choir of the Cathedral.
The Great Procession at 10 o’clock
About 1000 people carry reliquaries and statues that are venerated in the churches of Tournai and around. They perpetuate a tradition dating back to 1092. Some exceptional pieces such as the relic shrines of the Cathedral, the shrine of Our Lady (1205) , the shrine of Saint Eleutherius (1243) and that of the squires (XVI a.d.) are part of the exhibited treasuries. Several musical groups will enliven the procession.
We are celebrating this year the 850th dedicace anniversary of the cathedral. For the occasion, the Great Procession will be welcoming some prestigious groups such as :
· One delegation of the procession of the "Car d'Or" from Mons
· One delegation of the procession "Saint-Vincent" from Soignies
· One delegation of the procession of the "Festin" from Lessines
· On delegation of the Saint-Rolende walking from Gerpinnes
· One delegation of the procession from Enghien
· One delegation of the procession of St-Godelieve from Gistel
· The group from Mouscron : Our lady of Sorrows
· One group carrying reliquaries from the cathedral of Gent
· The Companions of Ursidonges with the bust and the shrine of Saint Ghislain
· The reliquary of all saints from Blaton
· The papal Zouaves from Thuin (with drums) from St-Roch with the statue of Saint Roch
If it rains, there will be a service inside the Cathedral at 10:30 am
Tournai's Great Procession is celebrated every year at the second sunday of september.
12 september 2021
11 september 2022
10 september 2023
8 september 2024
14 september 2025